Thoughts, opinions, rants, art.

VISITORS ........

VISITORS ............ do please leave a comment so that I know you were here :)

Followers

Thursday, 6 December 2012

PayPal?

I've received a suspicious email which I am supposed to believe was sent by PayPal. It has the date and my email address at the top but it looks as though it's been cut and pasted. The body of the email reads:

Your current balance is zero. But that doesn't mean you can't use PayPal. You don't need a balance to shop with us, instead PayPal will draw on your credit card or bank account to fund your purchase.

As I have never had a balance with PayPal I am finding this a bit hard to believe. I use a pre-paid Debit Card for all my online purchases and it still has a small amount of money on it. I have also never received an email of this kind before, and I use PayPal almost exclusively for online shopping.

There was also a label at the bottom of the letter telling me that I could be confident it was indeed from PayPal as my full name had been used. I'm afraid I'm not convinced! 

I will continue to use PayPal as I have always used it. I didn't bother to use any of the links that were included in the email in case that took me to some bogus site run by the Russian Mafia. 

I don't have any banking details at all on the computer. 

I don't know if this is a scam or not, but it doesn't quite ring true to me.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! I doubt PayPal will email you such a notice. Go with your instinct with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IDK about Paypal but, sounds at best like an enticement to spend, spend, SPEND! and, at worst, a scam, scam, SCAM!

    Nothing good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a paypal account a long time ago but abandoned it - I don't shop that much on-line to be honest ... paranoid about someone finding out my bank details

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the reason I use a pre-paid Mastercard card. The maximum amount it ever has on it is $200 and it is not connected to any bank account. I top it up at Woolworths when it gets down to about $20.
    I don't do online banking either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to be wary! I'm not sure this looks very suspicious, though. Most likely it was intended for people who both buy and sell with PayPal, and you probably got included with a lot of other folks. Always good not to follow links in emails when you're not sure, but I wouldn't worry about this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment so that I know you were here. I read and appreciate them all.
WORD VERIFICATION IS NOT USED ON THIS BLOG. -
It's a pain in the bum!