Thoughts, opinions, rants, art.

VISITORS ........

VISITORS ............ do please leave a comment so that I know you were here :)

Followers

Friday, 7 March 2014

I Found it Again!

I found the kaleidoscope quilt I had put in a safe place. It was in an empty bedroom and I don't even remember taking it there, which is probably why I couldn't find it :)

Anyway, here it is. This little wall hanging (which doesn't have any means of actually hanging it - yet) was hand-pieced - all except for the very outside border, which I did on the machine. The idea came from a book called Mirror Manipulations by Gail Valentine.

I completed it in 2001, according to the label I put on the back, so the details are a little hazy. You use fabric with a large pattern and place the two mirrors standing on edge alongside the points of various plastic templates placed on the fabric. When you remove the template and keep the mirrors in place it gives a kaleidoscope effect and you can move it around the fabric and choose designs which appeal to you. There is a selection of different angled templates to choose from included in the book and you just use that 'template plastic' and trace over them. When you've chosen which particular bit of the pattern you like you then use the plastic template to cut the exact same pieces of fabric from the whole until you have the number of sections you need. It is quite a wasteful exercise, so look around for cottons that are inexpensive to have a go at this. Big designs give you a more impressive end product.

I quite enjoyed the hand piecing as I could cart it around with me. I made it easy by marking the 1/4 inch seam in pencil on the back of all the pieces. It's basically a tiny running stitch which is used. You can see it on the bottom picture first border.

I suppose I should sort out some sort of hanging arrangement for it - loops or something.


If I did this again, I would choose a more muted colour than the purple, which I chose because it matched a colour in the floral fabric. It shouts at you a bit. It measures 80cm or 31.5 inches square.



2 comments:

  1. How fabulous - I love it ... and the purple looks good! I have heard of that technique ... daren't start a new one at the moment (still working on the UnFinishedObjects) but this is on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, jane. You get some quite interesting patterns using this technique. The heart one I designed using ideas from the book 'Impressionist Palette' by Gai Perry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment so that I know you were here. I read and appreciate them all.
WORD VERIFICATION IS NOT USED ON THIS BLOG. -
It's a pain in the bum!